Saturday, June 10, 2006

Center Parcs - Elvedon Forest (6-8th June 2006)


Had a midweek break at Center Parcs Elevedon Forest 5th-9th June. Bought a Mid Week Fishing Permit (£13) before hand but when got there found that you can only fish from a backwater area designated swims whilst looking round the vast lake there where some fabulous fishy swims. Walking round on the Monday evening found two lads ledegering on the far side away from the designated area - Got talking to them - they worked there. Found out that providing you are sensible, you can fish anywhere on the lake from 5pm to 10am.

So I was up and out and fishing by 6.30am on Tuesday outside villa 552 at the neck end of the lake - Only took my match rod set up and a few wagglers and maggots left over from Sundays match. Made sense as guess what - the carp were spawning under the trees on the far bank. Fed with pellet mix - fished maggot to start with and once pestered by small roach (2oz) I moved onto sweetcorn.
Getting nice skimmers Roach & Rudd then at 0930 I spotted 4 carp (2 mirrors / 2 commons)not 2 feet away in the margins to my right in 6 inches of water and one Mirror was a monster 20Lb at least - At 1st I thought there were getting ready to spawn but noticed they were feeding - so spread a few maggots around their noses but that seemd to spook them and they slowly trunet away into deeper water. So i returned to the waggler at 12 metres - 5 mins later they were back. So spread a few more maggots and they stayed this time. So carefully layed my size 18 2.5Lb hool link in there trying to avoid the big one - I did not have the gear for that one - You got it sod's law if I was trying for it I would get the 2 pounder but the big one took it - Luckliy there were no snags an it kited out into then open and down the lake - i let it go but slowly put some pressute on and got her back - After a good 15 mins got it into my match spoon net to applause from the audience that had gathered behind me with their videos and camera's - But I did not have mine or any scales. the guestimates varied from 19 to 22lb. I put it on par with my PB at just about 21Lb. - Nobody offered to supply me with a picture & I forgot to ask. DOH !!!

With that I packed up for the Morning - went back to the same swim that evening and for the next couple of days - No carp (Had the Camera) but some nice Bream and Tench to 4lb. But the best fish by far was a 1 3/4 Lb Rudd - See the photo - a new PB for me.

My future Son in law (Steve) joined me on Thursday and we had fun with the Roach, Rudd and Bream. In the afternoon we visited the main fishing area next to the bridge to the island where the ducks were being fed. I have never seen some many 20lb+ carp swiiming around in one place - All competing with the ducks for the bread. Incluing this massive Ghostie. Could not fish and did not seem to be the right thing to do with all these people there Safety the prime factor - So we fed pellet down the island bank and they were getting on it - but apart from one liner not a bite - It would appear once the bridge is shut the Carp move Off

All In all a good week.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?